The Book Blogger Love-a-Thon is an event hosted by Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books, taking place on 21 and 22 February, 9am-9pm EST on both days. It's time dedicated to exploring the blogging community, leaving a comment or two, meeting new friends and fostering positivity among the bloggers of the community.
Here's a bit about me!
1. What’s your name?
2. Where in the world are you blogging from?
Oxford, England. :D I go to university here, but I live in Hong Kong and I go back there when I can, so sometimes I am also blogging from there.
3. How did you get into blogging in the first place?
I started in March last year with a different book blog. I wanted to blog because I used to really love reading but I've just been so busy these past few years that I'd barely read any books, and I thought blogging would really help me get back into reading again. And it has!
4. How did you come up with your blog name?
Er, I'm actually not sure? I wanted something simple and short, something that wasn't just to do with books but was still related to writing in some way, because I wanted to feel more free with this blog to write about whatever I liked and not just books all the time, so I wanted the name to match that feeling. I think perhaps I was subconsciously inspired by the title of Scott Westerfeld's Afterworlds, which I still haven't actually read, but I'm planning to read it soon!
5. What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?
YA. Within YA, I read mostly either contemporary or fantasy, with the occasional dystopian novel. I read a lot of LGBTQ YA. Outside of YA, I review fantasy mainly.
6. What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?
The ubiquitous Top Ten Tuesday, some discussion posts, and also my original feature, Keep It Queer, posted every other Monday, where I talk about being queer and reading LGBTQ books and all that sort of stuff.
7. Best blogging experience so far?
Actually, I think it was probably when I'd just started blogging last year and I stumbled upon LGBT April hosted by Cayce @ Niji Feels and Laura @ Laura Plus Books and I decided to join. It was my first blogging event and I didn't really know anyone in the blogging community yet and it was just AWESOME. I met so many new people and it was so much fun!
8. Favorite thing about the blogging community?
I just love that we can all talk about the books we love together and all the people I've met have been so friendly and supportive. I also just love that moment when you find a new blog and start talking to a blogger you've never met before and you just instantly connect! That's always amazing.
9. Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2015!
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman
- Court of Fives by Kate Elliott
- The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
10. What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?
11. Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?
Okay, so Hannah Moskowitz has a book coming out in March, Not Otherwise Specified, which I was very lucky to read an ARC of. The MC in that is called Etta and she's bisexual and black, and I could relate to her so much as a bisexual Chinese girl, and I just wanted to be best friends with her forever. I would totally have her back.
12. Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?
Watching anime, still crying about Avatar: The Last Airbender years later, watching the occasional TV show (it's Agent Carter, Elementary, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine at the moment).
13. Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?
CLOTHES. Ugh, someone get me off the Forever 21 website, I can never stop compulsively ordering like EVERYTHING from there. What else. Food. Stickers (I'M OBSESSED WITH CUTE STICKERS).
14. At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?
Currently the whole of Taylor Swift's 1989 album is my song. THE WHOLE ALBUM. I love Taylor Swift a lot. Also, the whole of Lana Del Rey's Born to Die album. I don't really have songs, I just have albums that I fall in love with and can never name a favourite song from them.
15. Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.
Hmm. I really hope the Daughter of Smoke and Bone movie does get made! I know one is supposed to be in the works... I LOVE THAT SERIES SO MUCH. ;_____;